January 12, 2017
Looking back at my wedding photography always makes me so happy. It’s been a while now, and I still look back at the emotion of that day, and there’s so much that makes me just over-the-moon-teary-eyed-happy. In fact, you couldn’t have whipped the smile off my face all day. But there are a few things, especially now that I’m fully immersed in the wedding industry that I wish I had done differently, and a few things I wish I had done that I didn’t. So, here you are (in no particular order): My 5 Biggest Wedding Regrets.
2. A Groom’s Gift. I should have written Richie a love letter to open and read on our wedding day. We did write our own vows. And at the time, I thought this was the same, but it’s really not. I should have got him something small, nothing extravagant. We gave each other gifts, but we waited until after the wedding when things slowed down to do it. And maybe we shouldn’t have. Everytime I see pictures of a groom getting emotional reading a love letter the day of their wedding, I wish I’d done it.
3. Doing my flowers myself. I love flowers. And I was not scared to do my own. I knew I wouldn’t want to do my own bouquets the day before (too much) but I did do my own centerpieces. They were simple. If you want to read more about them, there’s a blog about it, here.
But in the end, they took way more time than I thought they would and it’s time I could have used to enjoy the opportunity to be with friends and family who had traveled to be with us. Plus, they made a HUGE mess! No joke. The day after my wedding I cleaned my house. Top to bottom. Which brings me to my next one…
4. Hire a cleaning lady. Just for the week before and after your wedding. Before our wedding we had people over all the time. I felt like I couldn’t stay on top of the cleaning. And after, well, if you are going on your honeymoon right after your wedding, have someone come in and clean while you’re gone. If you’re going to wait and go on your honeymoon a few week or even months after your wedding day (we did) nothing feels worse than coming home on your wedding night to a crazy messed up house. Spoil yourself. It’s worth it!
5. Transportation. I wish I had spent the money and had a car to bring us back and forth to our venue. Even if we’d Ubered our way there, but had a big car to take us and the girls home. When our wedding night was over I got in my car with my daughter. Richie got in his car with his daughter (and 4 of her friends) and we drove home separately! Seriously. At the time it was funny. And even now, it’s funny. But we were so conscious of staying on budget we never really considered that was how the night would end. Crazy!
If you enjoyed reading about my wedding day regrets, you might wanna check out this blog on the things that go wrong at weddings. Every wedding has something go-script. Sometimes it’s big and sometimes it’s not. And sometimes it’s fixable, and sometimes it becomes one of your best wedding day memories.
And if you are interested in speaking to me about I can help you to avoid any wedding day regrets, Contact me! I’d love to chat!
Thank you to the photographers who allow us to use their images on our site:
Ashley Mac Photographs, Heather Palecek Photography, Idalia Photography, Jessica Erb Photography, Susan Elizabeth Photography, Delaney Dobson Photography, Ann Coen Photography, Lovesick Inc., K Hulett Photography & Melanie Cassie Photography
BWE | 825 Devon Street | Forked River, New Jersey 08731
(973) 477-1392 | firstname.lastname@example.org
When we got married, I had this insane idea that we were going to DIY everything… including the wedding cake. It didn’t seem like a big deal to me (even though I can’t cook or bake to save my life). I ended up admitting defeat and we bought tons of Wegman’s dessert (which hilariously, a few people told me it was the best wedding cake they’ve ever had). Looking back, that totally could have been our biggest wedding mistake!
I did end up doing our flowers (minus the bouquets). They turned out gorgeous, I love everything about them, but I spent HOURS the day before the wedding putting them together and totally underestimated how long it would take. My back was aching by the end. I can’t say I regret it or would change it if I had a do-over… but I totally can sympathize with the time suck and taking you away from other (more fun!) things.
[…] with florals before. Finally, if you are considering DIY’ing your florals, read about my own wedding regrets here (Spoiler Alert: One of them was DIY’ing my […]
2 Comments on Wedding Day Regrets